< Back to blog

Kitchen Safety when cooking

Safety when cooking

  1. Never leave cooking unattended.
  2. Do not leave use a portable stove inside.
  3. Keep flammable items such as tea towels, oven mitts and curtains away from the cooking area.
  4. Keep the oven, stovetop, and rangehood filters clean and clear of grease.
  5. When cooking, heat oil slowly and control any splatter.
  6. Keep the saucepan lid handy as it can be used to smother a fire.
  7. Turn off hotplates and ovens when you have finished cooking and before you leave the room.
  8. Place fire safety equipment such as a fire blanket or extinguisher between the stove and the exit.
  9. Learn how to use your fire safety equipment.


  1. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for installing and operating your microwave.
  2. Do not use metal items such as metal containers, foil, or twist ties in a microwave as they can cause arcing which can create a fire.
  3. Clean the microwave interior and door frame regularly to reduce the chance of fire.

Electrical Appliances

Unplug your small kitchen appliances when not in use. Kitchen fires can easily start from faulty electrical connections or appliance malfunctions. Always stay in the kitchen and monitor your appliances when in use.

  1. Toasters. Unplug and clean the crumb tray in your toaster regularly to prevent fire during normal use. Remove any crumbs that become stuck to the heating elements. Always unplug your toaster when not in use.
  2. The heating element on a coffee machine can start a fire if the thermostat jams in the closed position. The heating element will get hotter and hotter until a fire starts.
  3. Slow cookers have been known to cause fires when left unattended.

Putting out a fire in the kitchen

  1. If cooking oil catches fire, do NOT use water and do NOT pick up the pot. Turn off the heat source, place the lid on the pot or use a fire blanket. Do not remove until the pot has cooled completely.
  2. If a fire starts in the microwave, immediately turn it off and, if safe, unplug the power cord. Do not open the microwave door until you are sure the fire is out.
  3. If the fire has spread, evacuate and call Triple Zero (000) immediately.

Fire extinguishers and fire blankets are essential items in every home. They should be located near the entrance of the kitchen. Make sure you’re familiar with their operation.

If you need a friendly Appliance Repairer from ABC Electrical to assist with any Electrical issues you may have …..

Make an Online Booking